Once a upon a time, Bethesda was happy to sell your purely aesthetic armour for your horse in Oblivion – which some people, bless their cotton socks, were only to happy to shell out real money for. They’re not being quite so greedy with the pointless DLC in their newest Elder Scrolls, Skyrim though – and the next update will add function to your Equine companion that’s more than just for looks.
In the next update for Skyrim, you’ll actually be able to do combat from atop your mount – and won’t be charged a cent for it either.
As part of the new 1.6 update for the critically acclaimed, but selectively buggy open-world adventure, you’ll finally be able to KILL ALL THE THINGS without having to dismount. the new feature accompanies a host of bug and game fixes that should finally push Skyrim towards the game it was meant to be. Or it could just end up breaking even more things. The 1.6 beta patch is available for the PC version on Steam right now (by opting in to receive beta updates) while console players will have to wait for the update to go through certification.
Here’s a brief video of mounted combat in action, via Ripten – followed by the full change list, courtesy of Bethesda’s Blog.
- Mounted Combat – Skyrim now allows you to do melee and ranged combat while riding a horse
- General stability and memory optimizations
- General AI pathfinding optimizations and bug fixes
- Optimizations and crash fixes for data leaks
- Fixed rare crash with lighting
- Fixed crashes related to loading and saving games
- Fixed crash with summoned creatures/NPCs
- Fixed rare issue where saves would be corrupted
- Improved logic for when ranged kill cams are played
- Fixed issue with ranged kill cams while killing a dragon
- Fixed rare issue with certain ranged kill cams not playing properly
- Fixed issue with nirnroot lighting not properly cleaning up
- Fixed issue where bow damage was being calculated incorrectly
- Fixed rare problem with werewolf kill moves would not finish animating properly
- In “The Break of Dawn” fixed rare issue where Meridia’s Beacon would disappear from player’s inventory
- Fixed occasional issue where followers would disappear after player pays off a bounty after committing a crime
- Fixed issue where certain creatures and NPCs would fail to respawn properly
- Fixed rare issue with dialogue subtitles not displaying properly
- Fixed issue with water appearing blurry when loading a saved game after creating a save underwater
- Fixed issue where map cursor would occasionally disappear after closing a message box with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
- Fixed rare issue with shouts only performing the first level and not other unlocked levels with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
- Fixed issue where the shout buttons would stop working properly if users mashed LB and RB during cooldown with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)