When it comes to the rapid world of video games, E3 2013 is approaching being ancient history, but before we forget about it completely, it’s time to have a look at the winners of the Game Critics Awards, a series of accolades decided by the upper echelons of the gaming media.
We told you previously how TitanFall had garnered six nominations – and it’s won every single one of them, breaking records and making the people at EA and Respawn probably rather pleased with themselves.
Interestingly – and this really should come as no surprise to those who’ve been following its development – the best hardware on show wasn’t one of the shiny next-gen consoles, but rather the latest in virtual reality gaming, the Oculus Rift. Beyond that though, it’s pretty much all TitanFall.
- Best of Show – Titanfall
- Best Original Game – Titanfall
- Best Console Game – Titanfall
- Best Handheld/Mobile Game – Tearaway
- Best PC Game – Titanfall
- Best Hardware/Peripheral – Oculus Rift
- Best Action Game – Titanfall
- Best Action/Adventure Game – Watch Dogs
- Best Role Playing Game – The Elder Scrolls Online
- Best Racing Game – Need for Speed: Rivals
- Best Sports Game – NHL 14
- Best Strategy Game – Total War: Rome II
- Best Social/Casual Game – Fantasia: Music Evolved
- Best Online Multiplayer – Titanfall
- Best Downloadable Game –Transistor
I’ve gotta be honest. While Titanfall will quite probably be the next big mainstream multiplayer game, and it is quite impressive in scope and level design, I’m just not sure it’s worth all the praise just yet. I am, however, really interested to see just how well it does commercially compared to the juggernaut that is Call of Duty – especially with it being confined to Microsoft platforms for the next while.