Kotaku has been speaking to a super secret spy over an encrypted connection and has managed to find out some truly intriguing information about the upcoming PS4 or Orbis as it’s rumoured to be called.
So instead of trying to drill down through all the information I’m just going to list it off in useful bullet points broken into categories.
- No more Cell CPU
- AMD x64 CPU
- AMD Southern Island GPU
- 4096×2160 HD resolution
- 1080p full 3D
- Releasing in November 2013
- Simple development process
- Dev units are already at developers
- Purchase full games directly from PSN on launch day
- Tons of power
- Purchased retail games can be downloaded again at any time
- No backwards compatibility with PS3 titles
- Built in system to limit used games (trial play only)
- Orbis will have to be connected to PSN to activate even retail titles
So that’s that. Obviously any information could be entirely false and could change at any time but with Microsoft being rumoured to limit used game sales and now Sony it seems that this evil is going to exist in the next generation.
I personally think they are insane and are opening the door for someone to come in and steal a large portion of the market away from them. Also forcing every single Orbis to be connected to the Internet is a big mistake. While an Internet connected console makes it that much better I have often taken my console with me on business or holiday when I had no access to the Internet. The idea that I can’t buy a game and play it while not connected doesn’t sit well with me at all.
Oh and why does everyone believe the orbis name is going to stick? Well http://orbis.scedev.net/ and Orbis Vita – linking it to their recently released handheld system – means “The circle of life”… how cool is that?
So what do you think, does the Orbis sound awesome or is the used game thing a death blow for your desires?