Today’s the day the Mercer virus goes global, as
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction 3 Prototype 2 sees worldwide release. that also means reviews are coming in – and it seems that Prototype 2’s exceeding expectations. Reviewers have praised the game’s polish, deliciously destructive open world and Heller’s fun array of death-dealing options.
At the same time, they’ve criticised some of the repetitive mission structures – so it’s just like a shinier version of the first game, then! I really rather enjoyed the first Prototype. Sure, large portions of it may have been formulaic and monotonous – but wanton, mass destruction the perfect sort of light, escapist entertainment a fella needs after a hard day’s work.
Here’s what reviewers had to say.
- 1Up: C+ – Radical Entertainment has something special here, but the oppressive story, indifferent characters, and hollow world all try their hardest to smother any sort of fun that the player finds.
- Attack of the Fanboy: (Loved) – As far as single player experiences go, if you enjoy action or open world titles, Prototype 2’s gritty and gory take on both genres will make this revenge quest one of the best in recent memory.
- CVG: 8.0 – There’s an abundance of weak missions and a daft storyline, but the free-running and combat are a joy – plus, it’s fantastically bloody throughout.
- Destructoid: 8/10 – Simply put, Prototype 2 is your number one choice for anybody who wants to inflict abject biological horror on an entire army of helpless individuals who are nonetheless just nefarious enough for you to feel justified.
- GamesMaster: 86% – Prototype 2 gives power to the player in ways many titles can only dream of. It gives you options, it lets you explore and experiment, and it’s a riotous and compulsive experience. Drink it in.
- Games Radar: 8/10 – If you’re looking for an epic, hugely varied adventure, look elsewhere, but if you want a game that lets you run amok in creative, bloody ways, Prototype 2 is pretty incredible.
- IGN: 7.0 – Having no impact is kind of the M.O. of Prototype 2. I enjoyed leveling up Heller and completing side quests, but none of it really meant anything to me. Outside of the Trophies I have for my efforts, I doubt I’ll remember much of Prototype 2’s sterile side missions and curse word-laden dialogue. Prototype 2 is fun, but it sure is forgettable.
- OPM UK: 9/10 – A far stronger game than the original in every aspect, and a compelling counterpoint to inFamous 2, Prototype 2 is nothing less than a gore-packed sandbox masterpiece throughout.
- OXM: 8.0 – If you can turn off your brain and just enjoy the frenzied carnage, you’ll have a blast.
Sounds great to me. Who’s picking this sucker up?
As a completely related side note, remember that there are some sick Prototype 2 community parties happening this Thursday evening, with giveaways, competition, people in silly costumes and maybe even free beer. The Friday’s a public holiday, so there’s really no reason not to go…unless you’re unfortunate enough to live in Port Elizabeth or some other insignificant little town. More information at 2upgamers.co.za.
In this article
I'm old, grumpy and more than just a little cynical. One day, I found myself in possession of a NES, and a copy of Super Mario Bros 3. It was that game that made me realise that games were more than just toys to idly while away time - they were capable of being masterpieces. I'm here now, looking for more of those masterpieces. I am also the emperor of the backend