What’s in the Dota 2 Spring Cleaning update?
Dota 2 is an insanely intricate and varied game, offering players a ton of gameplay options. You could probably play for years and never truly know everything there is to know about the game. Of course, then Valve goes and changes things, keeping everyone on their toes. So, what are some of the latest changes?
Called the Spring Cleaning update, there are inventory changes, interface changes, features, workshop and even new treasures – not to mention a ton of bug fixes. Oh, and that’s to say nothing of the actual gameplay update (6.81) which sees general changes, hero specific updates and individual item changes. So, let’s have a look:
Inventory and Item Changes
The first big change comes in the form of communication – Alt-click on an inventory item alerts your team that the item is ready, in cool down or needs mana. Items that call for a gather, such as Arcane Boots, broadcasts a gather message and pings your location upon Alt-click; Alt-click also works with passive abilities.
Some item changes include: Animal Courier respawn time reduced from 180 to 140 seconds, Clarity mana regeneration upped from 100 over 30 seconds to 135 over 40 seconds, and Eul’s Scepter of Divinity now deals 50 damage to enemy units when they land plus you can now cast Cyclone on yourself while you’re magic immune. Observer and Sentry Wards sharing with allies now requires a Control key override and wards can no longer be placed in the fountain areas. When using the Shadow Amulet, Fade no longer requires the target to remain stationary, but Invisibility still does.
There are changes to many more items, as well as some tweaks to the Quick Buy system. All recommended item builds have also been updated. Two new treasures have been added: Treasure of Sinister Arcanery and Treasure of the Cosmic Abyss. These contain brand new sets with a rare chance to get a new courier or Clockwerk set – no seal or treasure drop is required. These are purchased directly from the Dota 2 store or from within the Dota 2 client. Yes, these can also be traded an listed on the Steam Community Market.
Interface and Feature Changes
The interface changes are generally more about convenience and ease of use – friend requests can be sent to players via the in-game scoreboard and all active battle point (and event point) boosters are show in-game after all players connect. However, I’m most excited about spectating and server selection. The game client will now ping a sample of servers in each region and display the results in the region selection screen – this should help when players are searching for an optimal server for their game.
For those who use the Watch Tab, it now sorts leagues into Premier, Professional and Amateur leagues, with Amateur leagues also sorted by location – this makes it easier to find smaller tournaments in your area. Also helpful for spectators, all interface elements in League Matches now use official player names instead of their Steam name.
There are a ton of bug fixes, ranging from interface and audio visual bug fixes to actual gameplay ones. Here is a small sample:
- Updated various outdated tooltips for items and abilities
- You can no longer see trees being destroyed if they are hidden by the Fog of War
- Fixed a bug where if multiple wards (such as Plague Wards) were told to attack a target that was out of range to some of the wards none of the wards would attack that target. Now the in-range wards will attack the target properly
- Fixed bug allowing heroes that were transformed to attack Roshan from outside of the pit (primarily affects Tiny, Dragon Knight, Terrorblade, and Rubick)
- Fixed a bug where Radiance could deal damage to allied units
- Units can no longer be damaged by negative lifesteal
General and Hero updates
Here, again, there are a variety of changes. Captain’s Draft hero selection pool has increased from 24-27 (8 per type to 9) while the hero bans have increased for 4 to 6. Meepo is no longer available in Ability Draft. The hero changes are vast and varied – this means that the upcoming International will probably feature a bunch of new favorite and feared heroes. Some of the changes include:
- Brewmaster: If you have not attacked for 10 seconds, your next attack will always activate a Drunken Brawler critical hit. If you have not been attacked for 10 seconds, Drunken Brawler will cause you to evade the next attack
- Gyrocopter: Homing Missile now hits invisible units
- Naga Siren: Mirror Image illusion damage dealt reduced from 30/35/40/45% to 20/25/30/35%. Rip Tide area of effect reduced from 350 to 320. Rip Tide negative armor no longer goes through magic immunity
- Visage: Grave Chill cooldown increased from 10 to 16/14/12/10
Of course, there are a ton of other changes. Be sure to check if your favorite hero has been nerfed or buffed. Do you like these changes, or does it just mean relearning how to play the game?