So Guinness World Records had this poll, where almost 6000 of their readers voted for the Top 50 Video Game Villains of All Time. All of us here at the office agree that it is indeed a crappy list. Have a look and tell us what you think!
The good news is that probably the most iconic villain ever, got a well deserved number one spot. The bad news is, that, well, the most amazing villains of 2012 ARE NOT EVEN ON THE LIST. WTF right?
Super Mario Bros. Bowser landed the top spot with over 20% of the vote. I mean you have to give it to the guy, He’s “nothing if not persistent”. He’s been trying to kidnap the same hottie for almost three decades. And after all the Bowser jokes in the office chat, I don’t have any problem with him taking the crown. Runner up to mister never-give-up is a lady, oh-oh-oh she’s a lady! (I have no idea why that song is stuck in my head). Valve’s Portal series brought us the most intriguing, depressed and messed up robot chick through their Portal series. We all love GLaDOS. Third place, one of my favourite villains of video games and film, is the why-so-serious Joker.
I bet Brenda, I mean, Batman is sitting there in his chair pouting like a duckfaced teenager.
I’d like to show the entire list, and then rant about it just a tiny bit. I know it’s going to take up lots of page space, and will make you scroll down forever, but I’m doing it.
50. Hades – Kid Icarus
49. Atlas – BioShock
48. Jacqueline Natla – Tomb Raider
47. Shepherd – Call of Duty
46. Herobrine – Minecraft
45. Solidus Snake – Metal Gear Solid
44. Diablo – Diablo
43. Dr Robotnik – Sonic the Hedgehog
42. Dr Neo Cortex – Crash Bandicoot
41. Shao Kahn – Mortal Kombat
40. Zoran Lazarevic – Uncharted
39. Tabuu – Super Mario Bros.
38. Kaos – Skylanders
37. Wheatley – Portal
36. Mother Brain – Metroid
35. Ghirahim – The Legend of Zelda
34. Dr Nefarious – Ratchet & Clank
33. Xehanort – Kingdom Hearts
32. Kessler – Infamous
31. The Flood – Halo
30. The Locust Hordes – Gears of War
29. Vanitas – Kindgom Hearts
28. Darth Vader – Star Wars
27. Dr Wily – Mega Man
26. Team Rocket – Pokemon
25. Kefka Palazzo – Final Fantasy
24. Police – Grand Theft Auto
23. Zombies – Call of Duty
22. Aliens – Space Invaders
21. The Readers (sic) – Mass Effect
20. N – Pokemon
19. Zeus – God of War
18. Alduin – Skyrim
17. M Bison – Street Fighter
16. The Covenant – Halo
15. Andrew Ryan – BioShock
14. Donkey Kong – Donkey Kong (although honestly..I think Mario is the real villain)
13. Psycho Mantis – Metal Gear Solid
12. Albert Wesker – Resident Evil
11. Vladimir Makarov - Call of Duty
10. Creeper – Minecraft
9. Liquid Ocelot – Metal Gear Solid
8. Inky - PAC-Man
7. The Borgias – Assassin’s Creed II
6. Sephiroth – Final Fantasy VII
5. Gary Oak - Pokemon Red/Blue
4. Ganon - The Legend of Zelda
3. The Joker – Batman: Arkham Asylum
2. GLaDOS - Portal
1. Bowser – Super Mario Bros.
First of all, no Vaas, no Handsome Jack! How is this even possible! Shao Kahn at number 41? “Aliens”, “Police”, “Zombies”, villains!? I have no words…
I did have a good laugh at number 21 though. Now I know you guys have a lot to say about this, so let us see what you got. What do you think about the list and who would you have chosen as your top three?