The DICE Awards 2013: What the hell is going on?
And not just the band either. With the Dice summit underway in fabulous Las Vegas, we’ve seen a few exciting conferences from industry professionals, floating around new ideas, games and Hollywood partnerships. Screw all that though, because the event is better known for its awards that reward the best of the best in the industry. Except this year, some of the choices in various fields are just downright baffling.
While Journey was the big winner of the night, securing eight trophies for ThatGameCompany, other big time winners were The Walking Dead and Borderlands. The Walking Dead had eight nominations, of which it one four in the categories for best character performances, story, downloadable and Adventure game. Which is what gets my goat. The Walking Dead more than deserves the awards for best story and character performances, but the award for best downloadable title is open to debate, while the adventure tag is a downright slap in the face to nominees such as Darksiders 2 and Dishonored.
And then you’ve got the award for best fighting game, which went to Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. Is it a decent game? Yes, yes it is. But is it a better fighting game than Soulcalibur V,Street Fighter X Tekken and Tekken Tag Tournament 2? Hells to the no, it is not. And don’t even get me started on the fact that Need for Speed Most Wanted was deemed a better racing game than Forza Horizon, or that Journey beat titles such as Call of Duty Black Ops 2 and Halo 4 in the online gameplay category.
I’ve always enjoyed the DICE awards, seeing them as the SAG of the Oscars in the gaming industry, but the choices this year in a variety of fields are disappointing to say the least. Here’s the full list of winners, from VG247.
Game of the Year categories
- Game of the Year 2012: Journey
- Action: Borderlands 2
- Mobile: Hero Academy
- Sports: FIFA 13
- Racing: Need for Speed: Most Wanted
- Fighting: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
- Downloadable: The Walking Dead
- Casual: Journey
- Handheld: Paper Mario Sticker Star
- Web based: SimCity Social
- Family: Skylanders Giants
- RPG or MMO of the year: Mass Effect 3
- Strategy or simulation: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Adventure: The Walking Dead
- Outstanding achievement in original music: Journey
- Outstanding achievement in original sound design: Journey
- Outstanding achievement in original story: The Walking Dead
- Outstanding achievement in character performance: The Walking Dead (Lee Everett)
- Outstanding achievement in art direction: Journey
- Outstanding innovation in gaming: Journey
- Best online gameplay: Journey
- Oustanding achievement in connectivity: Halo 4
- Outstanding achievement in animation: Assassin’s Creed 3
- Outstanding achievement in gameplay engineering: XOM: Enemy Unknown
- Outstanding achievement game direction: Journey