Growing up, space combat games were all the rage. You had Wing Commander and Descent, with the Star Wars brand taking full advantage of that genre. Times changed, and those games went into hibernation. But there seems to be a small resurgence on the way, and Star Wars is jumping back into an X-Wing for Attack Squadrons.
Designed as a free to play space combat game, Star Wars: Attack Squadrons will see up to 16 players slug it out in space. Here’s the official description CTRL+Ced faster than a 16 parsec Kessel run from the original website:
Star Wars: Attack Squadrons
Star Wars: Attack Squadrons is free-to-play online space combat game where players customize iconic Star Wars ships and engage in high-velocity 16 players dogfights in fabled Star Wars locations.
• Intense PVP Action: Battle online in 3 PVP game modes
- Free For All: Fight for glory in 16 players death matches.
- Team Dogfight: Join a team and decimate the enemy team.
- Base Defense: Defend your base or coordinate an attack on your enemy’s base.
• Ship Customization: Upgrade and personalize your ships as you collect and modify them to your own specifications.
• Team Play: Team up with your friends and develop a community of Starfighter Pilots.
• Rewards: Earn points after successful matches to unlock new items and upgrades.
• Regular Updates: New ships, items and upgrades every month.
I’ve got a soft spot in my heart for Star Wars space combat games. Starfighter and Rogue Squadron pretty much ruled my gaming days, and I’ve been keen to see EA explore the franchise and that genre further.
Somehow though, I think the taint of F2P is going to turn quite a few gamers away.