If there’s one thing that the dark knight has done in the last year or two, it’s to take care of business. The Dark Knight Rises saw a trilogy of films wrapped up, while 2011’s Arkham City went out with a bang alongside the criminally underrated Brave and the Bold cartoon. But could there be more Batmannery lying in wait? One nerd in Batman underwear (me), certainly hopes so.
Rights holder Warner Bros just went on a shopping spree, as they snatched up several new domain names. Most of them run the gamut of “Universe” through to “Legends”, but they all include “Arkham” in their title. Here’s the full list from GameInformer visa Fusible:
- arkhamuniverse.com (Arkham Universe)
- batmanarkahmuniverse.com (Batman Arkham Universe)
- batmanarkhamarises.com (Batman Arkham Arises)
- batmanarkhambegins.com (Batman Arkham Begins)
- batmanarkhamdarkknight.com (Batman Arkham Dark Knight)
- batmanarkhamknight.com (Batman Arkham Knight)
- batmanarkhamlegend.com (Batman Arkham Legend)
- batmanarkhamlegends.com (Batman Arkham Legends)
- batmanarkhamnight.com (Batman Arkham Night)
- batmanarkhamorigins.com (Batman Arkham Origins)
- batmanarkhamstories.com (Batman Arkham Stories)
- darkknightarkham.com (Dark Knight Arkham)
- dcarkhamuniverse.com (DC Arkham Universe)
- dcarkhamverse.com (DC Arkhamverse)
- thearkhamuniverse.com (The Arkham Universe)
So what’s going on here? It’s doubtful that we’d jump from a city-sized game to a galactic hub following the events of Arkham City, so I’d be more inclined to believe that that term would be reserved for a fan initiative. With Christopher Nolan having finished his trilogy, it’s also not too inconceivable to see a new franchise built on the story and atmosphere that Rocksteady Games produced, but then again, why go big screen?
The DC Animated films have proven to be money-makers for Warner Bros, but they were all based on iconic comic books. So why not skip a genre, and produce an animated film based on the games? With some tweaking, it’d be perfect for a Blu-Ray release. But it’s the Arkham Legends moniker that interests me the most. If Rocksteady is going to make a new Batman universe game, then they’ve got plenty of characters to utilise from the Batman family.
Namely Robin, Nightwing and Catwoman, who all had substantial gameplay parts in the previous game. The architecture is already there, and it’s not too difficult to see such a project popping up. After all, the Joker did have that script that he accidentally revealed…