Over at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, both new generation consoles are battling for the title of most indie friendly. We all the PS4 has a major head start on this, but Xbox One has announced the first batch of games coming to the console.
Ah, that poorly named program from Microsoft – ID@Xbox is bringing you 25 games. Well, there will be more, and these might not appear in chronological order. More games are apparently in the pipeline, but for now, these are the 25 titles confirmed to be coming to Microsoft’s console:
- “1001 Spikes” by Nicalis
- “Calibre 10 Racing Series” by Bongfish GmbH
- “CastleStorm” by Zen Studios
- “Chariot” by Frima
- “Chuck’s Challenge 3D” by Niffler
- “Contrast” by Compulsion Games
- “Divekick Addition Edition +” by Iron Galaxy Studios
- “Forced” by BetaDwarf ApS
- “FRU” by Through Games
- “Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition” by DrinkBox Studios
- “Gunscape” by Blowfish Studios
- “Habitat” by 4gency
- “Hyper Light Drifter” by Heart Machine
- “It Draws a Red Box” by Other Ocean
- “Nutjitsu” by NinjaBee
- “Pinball Arcade” by FarSight Studios
- “Q.U.B.E. Director’s Cut” by Toxic Games
- “Riptide GP2” by Vector Unit
- “Roundabout” by No Goblin
- “Sixty Second Shooter Prime” by Happion Laboratories
- “Spectra: 8bit Racing” by Gateway Interactive
- “Strike Suit Zero” by Born Ready Games
- “Super Time Force” by Capybara
- “The Last Tinker” by Mimimi Productions
- “Wulverblade” by Darkwind Media
Hmm, Contrast wasn’t wildly popular on the PS4 – in fact, it was a bit of a flop. But I will approve of this list purely because of Divekick, the best fighting game. Ever.
I’m curious how Xbox One will work with indies. Can we expect some of these games to come for free to Xbox One through Xbox Live Gold? That’s what Sony did, helping expand the reach of indies on the new platform. I doubt that people with Microsoft’s console will shell out money for these indies. Although they really should for the joy that is Divekick.
Wielding my lasso of truth, I am the combination of nerd passion and grammar nazi. I delve into all things awesome and geek-tastic. I believe people should stop defining themselves and just enjoy playing games, so let's get on with it!